We love Friday mornings and afternoons with our kindergarten reading buddies! Mrs. Rivera's class reads and/or helps with all the kindergarten classes every Friday. It's a highlight of our week. Not only do kindergarten students benefit from the one on one interaction with older students, the sixth graders have learned responsibility as well as improving their peer relationships. We make our mark every Friday!
You are here
Cindy Porter received the Riverview Crystal Apple of the Year recipient for the 2017-2018 school year.
Cindy Porter has a passion for learning and sharing her learning with others. Teachers and students at Riverview and at many schools throughout Nebo have benefited greatly from her talents.
She has an ELL, math, and reading endorsement. She is currently working on a Gifted and Talented Endorsement. She has a Master’s Degree. She is reading recovery trained. She has been an instructional coach for six years and a facilitator for six years.
She loves going on adventures of any type, spending time with her friends and especially her grandchildren. She is married to Richard. Together, they have three wonderful children and four beautiful grandchildren.
Her passion and commitment to teaching is the reason why her peers voted her for the Crystal Apple Award.
Congratulations, Cindy Porter!
Welcome back from Spring Break! We are now officially in the season of Spring. This also means we are in the season of field trips. Over the years I have been on many – here are some universal field trip truths:
- When you send home permission slips, you will never get 100 percent of them back by the due date.
- When it is time to board the bus, one child will have to go to the bathroom.
- When you say, “I just asked everyone to go,” he will answer, “I didn’t have to go then.”
- As soon as he returns, five others will have to go, too.
- Immediately after the bus pulls away from the school, at least one child will say, “When will we get there?”
- Ten minutes after you arrive, one child will ask, “When’s lunch?”
- The teacher will spend the entire trip counting students’ heads to make sure everyone is there. (This is like playing Duck, Duck, Goose. For six hours.)
- If there is a gift shop, they will ask if they can buy something.
- The farther you walk with your students in a line, the more spread out it will become.
- When it’s time to hop back onto the bus, several students will try to renegotiate the seating arrangement.
- Upon returning to the school, half the class will be asleep.
We are hoping to assist a Riverview family who lost their home to a fire. We are having a Penny War; April 9th – 20th. All of the money raised will go to the Bluth Family.
PTA BOGO Bookfair
It's time for the BUY ONE GET ONE FREE book fair! The fair will be held before school, during lunch, and after school from April 16 to April 20. A special Family Night "Paw"rty will be held on Thursday, April 19, from 5 - 8 p.m. in conjunction with the school Art Show. PLEASE volunteer to help with the book fair. Every volunteer gets a gift card to spend at the fair. You DO NOT have to be a member of the PTA to volunteer!
Find the volunteer sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4ea4a722a6fc1-paws
PTA Family Skate Night
Riverview Elementary Father and Daughters @ Classic Fun Center;
Friday, April 20th
250 S. State St., Orem, UT.
FREE SKATING ADMISSION FOR YOU AND YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!
Add bouncing and climbing or laser tag for $3; Add all three for only $4!
Free Skate Rental
Blade Rental - $3
Scooter Rental - $3
Skate Mate Rental - $3
You may bring your own skates, blades, or scooters!
60 tokens only $5!
Dinner Deals for $3!
Nachos & Drink
Pizza Slice & Drink
Corn Dog & Drink
Kindergarten Registration - It’s Not Too Late
Kindergarten registration was held last week. If you have forgotten, it’s not too late, your child can still come to school next year!! To register your child please go to http://riverview.nebo.edu/registration#kpre. We will need a copy of birth certificate, immunizations, and proof of residency.
Year End Testing
End of year testing is upon us. I recently read the following in Business Insider, written by a principal in Singapore: "I know you are all really anxious for your child to do well. But, please do remember, amongst the students who will be sitting for the exams there is an artist, who doesn't need to understand Math… There is an entrepreneur, who doesn't care about History or English literature…There is a musician, whose Chemistry marks won't matter…There's an athlete…whose physical fitness is more important than Physics… If your child does get top marks, that's great! But if he or she doesn't…please don't take away their self-confidence and dignity from them. Tell them it's OK, it’s just an exam! They are cut out for much bigger things in life. Tell them, no matter what they score…you love them and will not judge them. Please do this, and when you do… watch your children conquer the world. One exam or low mark won't take away…their dreams and talent. And please, do not think that doctors and engineers…are the only happy people in the world."
PTA Spring Carnival
The PTA Spring Carnival will be held on Monday, April 30th. The Carnival was a great success last year and we are anticipating much success this year!
To ensure the success of the Carnival we need YOUR help.
The following three areas are the areas where we need immediate assistance.
The roles identified below need to be filled ASAP (fortunately much of the leg work has been completed already) – WE NEED HELP!:
1. Activities Committee Chair (committee members will be needed too, but the Chair is crucial) This committee will take the lead of the activities component of the Carnival. We have potential vendors identified already. We need your help making the carnival FUN.
2. Food Committee Chair (committee members will be needed too, but the Chair is crucial) This committee will oversee the food component of the Carnival by determining what will be served, as well as overseeing the preparation and distribution of food items.
3. Marketing Committee Chair (a committee member has volunteered, but the Chair is crucial) This committee will assist in providing already created materials to teachers and parents through print media and social media.
4. Ticket Committee Chair (committee members have already volunteered) This committee will oversee the presale of tickets, distribution of tickets, and ticketing at the event.
5. Donations Committee Members (a volunteer is already chairing this committee) This committee will assist in contacting businesses to seek donations for silent auction baskets, prizes and food. Materials are already created to assist with asking for donations.
DONATIONS – ITEMS AND ACTIVITIES:
If you know individuals who manage or own local businesses and would be willing to ask them for a donation to the school, please let us know immediately! We will provide tax receipts to businesses.
If you have an item or skill that could be added to a gift basket that you are willing to donate, please let us know immediately.
If you have access to the following activities and can donate them or help provide them at a discounted rate, please let us know immediately:
- Ponies – Pony Rides
- Pig – Kiss A Pig
- Bounce Houses
- Dunk Tank
- Candy Canon
- Bubble Balls
- Face Painting
- Or other activities that you have access to – let us know what they are!
To ensure the Carnival is a success it requires MANY volunteers. We will have a variety of volunteer needs and shifts, so if you will have some availability on April 30th and are willing to help out – please let us know immediately.
I am excited for the opportunity to continue to help our school develop and provide outstanding opportunities to our children. Your consideration and support of the Carnival by volunteering, donating to, and attending, is greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions or would like to assist in any of the ways described above, please contact me.
Riverview Elementary School
PTA Fundraising Chair
801.369.1982 (text or phone calls welcome – please leave your name in the text or voicemail)
Teacher requests for 2018-2019
Teacher requests will be open from Monday, April 30th to Friday, May 4th. Forms will be available in the front office during this week only.
Riverview School website
Riverview Facebook & Instagram
Please continue to check the website for additional information.
- April 9th – Make Your Mark Assembly @ 9:00 a.m.
- April 10th – National Librarian Day; 2nd grade aquarium visit
- April 12th – 4th grade county fair @ 1:45; PTA Art Show @ 5:00 p.m.
- April 13th – Popcorn Friday; 2nd grade field trip to Harward Farm
- April 16th – 20th – PTA BOGO Book Fair
- April 19th – State Earthquake Drill @ 10:00 a.m.
- April 20th – 1st grade field trip
- April 24th – 3rd grade track and field day @ SFHS
- April 25th – National Secretary Day
- April 27th – Kindergarten Field Trip
- April 30th – PTA Spring Carnival
- April 30th – May 4th – Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 1st-4th grade track and field day @ SFHS
Mrs. Angie Killian
Principal, Riverview Elementary